Later today more than 50 influencers in the church and men’s ministries will convene for one reason…to come together in unity around making Godly fatherhood a reality in every home across the nation. The statistics tell the story of how fatherlessness has ravaged our families over the past 50 years. This isn’t to place all the blame on men and fathers. There are a number of reasons that this is a present day reality. But, men do have to take responsibility for abdicating many of their responsibilities as dads and husbands and the resulting impact it has had in our culture. The past is the past. It’s what we do now that matters.
In 2010, Sherwood Pictures (an outreach of Sherwood Church in Albany, GA) released the fourth film in their remarkable string of increasingly popular faith based films. What began as a small local project (Flywheel) became an eye-popping unsuspected success (Facing the Giants), then grew to a movie that caught the attention of Hollywood because of it’s theatrical numbers and its key theme of having a Godly marriage (Fireproof), and recently created national attention again as it turned out millions to the theaters while dealing with one of our nations more difficult issues to address—fatherlessness (Courageous). Sherwood is ultimately much more interested in God being glorified through their work than the worldly success of their movies. But, the more success a movie has in numbers, the more people who are exposed to the power of the movie’s message. As much as Sherwood Pictures wants to influence culture for good beyond the movie’s theatrical and DVD releases, at the end of the day, Sherwood Pictures makes movies. Once the movies message is out, who is there to champion it?
That’s where the Fatherhood CoMission comes in. This team was formed to help champion Godly fatherhood as was exemplified in the movie, Courageous. Influential ministries came together to determine how they could help churches and ministries continue to keep fatherhood at the forefront of the cultural discussion while providing guidance, information and encouragement inside and outside of the Church. The idea for the CoMission was started before Courageous was in theaters but finally formed earlier this year. And, starting tonight, the Fatherhood CoMission team and 50 other influential leaders in the Church and men’s ministries are convening for a two day summit to pray, collaborate, ideate and strategize on how to best champion Godly fatherhood in our nation.
Here are just a few of the questions they will discuss with the goal of generating some discussion and ultimately practical takeaway plans to pursue at the end of the Summit:
- What could we (the leadership summit) do in the next 5 yrs to make the biggest impact on fatherhood in our nation?
- How can we set up the next generation of fathers for success?
- How can we influence media to show what strong fatherhood looks like and the impact it really has when it’s lived out in the home?
- What are the biggest threats and enemies to fatherhood that must be confronted?
- What resources need to be developed that don’t exist?
There will be many others but that gives you an indication about what will happen beginning tonight and going through breakfast on Friday. Please pray for this summit, these leaders and their organizations and the subsequent plan that can be developed and carried out to help dads around the nation and globe be better dads. Here are a few prayer requests that we ask you to spend a few minutes praying, if you would:
- Pray for unity among the different organizations and the prayer of Jesus to God for unity in believers would be a reality.
- That all agendas would be put aside except those God wants to move forward.
- Movement in the hearts of men and churches across the nation to move this issue further up on their radar and the impact it would then have on changing homes in communities all over the U. S.
- Next step clarity
- Safe travel to and from this event.
- The right people would be at the event and the ideas that need to be generated are allowed to germinate and grow.
- A time of refreshment for these leaders who are engaged in so many activities that make leaving their work difficult. No anxiety for what is left behind and focus on what is at hand for the two plus days.
- Families of those involved. Spiritual warfare is real and if there’s a barrier to positively impacting Godly families it’s when good families fall apart and the enemy raises that up as why efforts like these are futile. God will not be mocked and what God raises up, let not man tear apart.
Thank you for your prayers and support of this event and of the Fatherhood CoMission as it moves forward over the next few years and champions Godly fathering in our nation. One day it’s charter will be completed and it will disband, hoping and praying that “feet on the street” ministries and churches keep the momentum going. Pray for this organization that God is raising up for such a time as this!